(+30) 210 3626971
Dr. Themistoklis K. Giannakopoulos co-heads our market-leading TMT practice (ranked top-tier by the Legal 500).
As Senior Counsel and Head of Regulatory at Vodafone Greece (his role prior to joining us), Themistoklis led a team of 40 which managed the company’s regulatory function. He was also the regulatory face of the company, interacting with Greek ministries and other regulatory authorities (including supranational EU bodies).
His successes at Vodafone included concluding the network sharing agreement between Vodafone and Wind; advising on the legislative framework governing base-station licensing; the acquisition of Hellas on Line; and completion of a digital dividend spectrum auction.
In 2008, Themistoklis was the Chief Legal Counsel and one of the principal negotiators in one of the largest Greek telecoms transactions of recent years: Forthnet’s €500mn acquisition of the satellite platform NOVA, managing the complex obtainment of regulatory approval for the deal.
His experience on the enforcement side of regulation, which includes tenures as internal legal advisor at the National Telecommunications and Posts Commission (EETT) and stagiaire at the EU Commission’s competition arm, gives him remarkable insight into the regulatory process. Responsible for enforcement of competition rules and final decisions regarding e-communications companies, he also helped create the framework for liberalization of the EU telecoms market.
- Law Degree, University of Athens, School of Law
- LL.M, University of Kent
- Ph.D. on EU Competition Law, European University Institute of Florence
- Telecommunications, Media and Technology (TMT)
- Antitrust, Competition & Regulatory
- Corporate & Commercial
- European Law
- Member of the Athens Bar Association
- Recommended Lawyer for Telecommunications, Media & Technology by “The Legal 500”
Legal500 EMEA – 2018 Edition
“Themistoklis Giannakopoulos impresses with his dedication and proactive approach’”
- Safeguarding Companies’ Rights in Competition and Anti-Dumping/Anti-Subsidies Proceedings, (2004), and 2nd ed, (2011), Kluwer Law International
- A Concise Guide to EU Anti-Dumping/Anti-Subsidies Procedures (2006), Kluwer Law International
- Commentary on Competition Law in Greece (2007, 2010, 2011, 2013, and 2014, 2015 (forthcoming)), Kluwer Law International
- Various articles on competition legal issues, the latest one being ‘Price squeeze and other abuses of dominance in the Greek e-communications market: The approach of the national e-communications Commission and the administrative Court of Appeals of Athens’, 2011, European Competition Law Review, 32, Issue 9, pp. 27-40.