(+30) 210 3626971
Dr. Themistoklis K. Giannakopoulos co-heads our market-leading TMT practice (ranked top-tier by the Legal 500).
As Senior Counsel and Director of Regulatory, Corporate Security, Risk, and Compliance at Vodafone Greece (his role prior to joining us), Themistoklis led a multidisciplinary team of 40 persons, which managed all relevant issues of the company, including regulatory, data protection, cyber security and antifraud, business continuity, etc.
His successes at Vodafone included unconditional approval of the network sharing agreement between Vodafone and Wind by the Greek regulatory and competition authority (EETT); fostering significant improvements of the legislative/regulatory framework governing base-station licensing, vital for the provision of quality services and compliance with regulatory obligations; unconditional approval of the acquisition of fixed/broadband operator (Hellas on Line); and exemplary management of an auction organized by the regulator regarding the digital dividend spectrum, which resulted in the award of the spectrum required whilst securing multimillion savings for the company.
In 2008, Themistoklis was the Chief Legal Counsel and one of the principal negotiators in one of the largest Greek telecoms M&A transactions: Forthnet’s €500mln acquisition of the satellite platform NOVA, managing upon completion the complex obtainment of all necessary regulatory (telecoms, capital markets, competition) approval for the deal.
His experience on the enforcement side of regulation, which includes tenures as internal legal advisor at the National Telecommunications and Posts Commission (EETT) and stagiaire at the EU Commission’s competition arm, gives him remarkable insights into the way regulators conduct their operations. Responsible for enforcement of competition rules and final decisions regarding e-communications companies at the Greek regulatory, he also assisted in creating the framework for liberalization of the EU telecoms market.
- LL.B., School of Law, University of Athens, Greece
- Erasmus (EU Law), Leiden University, The Netherlands
- LL.M., International and Commercial Law, University of Kent at Canterbury, UK
- Ph.D. on EU Competition Law, European University Institute, Florence, Italy
- Telecommunications, Media and Technology (TMT)
- Compliance (including GDPR) & Corporate Governance
- Antitrust, Competition & Regulatory
- Corporate & Commercial
- EU Law
- Gaming Law
- Energy Law
- Member of the Athens Bar Association
- Former member of the BoD of the American-Hellenic Chamber of Commerce
- Ranked in Chambers & Partners Edition 2020
- Recommended Lawyer for Telecommunications, Media & Technology by “The Legal 500”
Legal500 EMEA – 2018 Edition
“Themistoklis Giannakopoulos impresses with his dedication and proactive approach’”
Chambers and Partners – 2020 Edition
“Themistoklis Giannakopoulos is recognised for his knowledge in data protection topics. Clients say: “He has tremendous experience in GDPR matters.””
- Safeguarding Companies’ Rights in Competition and Anti-Dumping/Anti-Subsidies Proceedings, (2004), and 2nd ed., (2011), Kluwer Law International
- A Concise Guide to EU Anti-Dumping/Anti-Subsidies Procedures (2006), Kluwer Law International
- Commentary on Competition Law in Greece (2007, 2010, 2011, 2013, and 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2020 (forthcoming), Kluwer Law International
- Various articles on competition legal issues, (i.e. ‘Price squeeze and other abuses of dominance in the Greek e-communications market: The approach of the national e-communications Commission and the administrative Court of Appeals of Athens’, 2011, European Competition Law Review, 32, Issue 9, pp. 27-40.